Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Just BE with Jesus: the Resurrection and the Life

You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. (Psalm 18:35)




Read John 11:17-44

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. (John 11:25-26a)
Therefore He is able also to save to the uttermost (completely, perfectly, finally and for all time and eternity) those who come to God through Him, since He is always living to make petition to God and intercede with Him and intervene for them. (Hebrews 7:25 Amplified)

Keri Wyatt Kent’s excellent book Deeper into the Word: New Testament taught me that the Greek word translated “resurrection” (“anastasis”) means “to cause to stand up on one’s feet again.”

The Lord was my Resurrection and Life (continually putting me back on my feet) in a special way during a dark time fifteen years ago. After longing to have a child for several years, I miscarried twice, just a few months apart. Depression and grief hit me hard, and the dark tunnel of hopelessness seemed never-ending. A third pregnancy added the daily fear of a new loss. The book of Psalms was my companion during this time. There was a light of hope in that book! As I read the ancient biblical prayers of praise, joy, sorrow, anger, and every other emotion, I learned to pour my heart out to the Lord, and to seek his strength.

Seek the Lord and his strength;
seek his presence continually! (Psalm 105:4)
He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure. (Psalm 40:2)

Lord, I noticed that you spoke these words
--the Resurrection and the Life--
to Martha alone.
This was your personal message
of comfort to her.
Thank you for the times you
have given comfort to me.
Open my ears to hear you
more often.

______
This blogpost is based on my book, You Are Here. I am revisiting the themes of several of my books as I seek to “just be with Jesus." I am putting aside lengthy readings for a season, and instead looking for one word or phrase to carry through the day. Today’s word, for me, is “strength."

photo credit: An autumn sun rise in rural Saskatchewan via photopin (license)



No comments:

Post a Comment