Monday, June 15, 2015

Elisabeth Elliot died today

I remember her gentle voice on the radio. My parents gave me a page-a-day calendar with quotes from her books. One page brought me great peace. I do not remember the exact wording, but it was something like this: "Perhaps you have not discovered any talents or gifts in your life. I believe that eternity will reveal that you yourself have been a gift to someone." I read this when I was nineteen, and I was pretty sure the Holy Spirit had missed me when handing out spiritual gifts. I was dating an amazingly talented young man (now my husband), and this quote gave me truth and hope.

I loved what Steve Saint said in this article:

I think Elisabeth would be happy just being remembered as not much of a woman that God used greatly. To the rest of us mortals she was an incredibly talented and gifted woman who trusted God in life's greatest calamities, even the loss of her mind to dementia, and who allowed God to use her. He did use her.

There is an excellent summary of Elisabeth's life here.


No comments:

Post a Comment