Saturday, October 1, 2011

Keep Calm and Read Psalms: Calling on God


All my blogging friends seem to have a 31 Days of Something or Other this month. I thought I'd jump into the trend. I'm calling it "Keep Calm and Read Psalms."

The book of Psalms gives us a pattern for praying honestly as well as eloquently—not because God doesn't hear simple spur-of-the-moment prayers (He does!), but because, when circumstances allow, He is worthy of thoughtful meditative prayer. Praying the Psalms also inserts a note of triumphant praise into our prayers, lifting our gaze from our needs and our requests to focus on the Lord Himself.

Sometimes I pray a Psalm exactly as it is written, whispering the words of Scripture directly to God. Other times I meditate on the words of a Psalm and respond to God with a prayer prompted by His word.

Today's Psalms share a theme of calling on God.



Call to Me in a day of trouble;
I will rescue you, and you will honor Me. (Psalm 50:15)
I call on You, God, because You will answer me;
listen closely to me;
hear what I say. (Psalm 17:6)
Know that the Lord has set apart the faithful for Himself;
the Lord will hear when I call to Him. (Psalm 4:3)
Be gracious to me, Lord,
for I call to You all day long.
Bring joy to Your servant's life,
since I set my hope on You, Lord.
For You, Lord, are kind and ready to forgive,
abundant in faithful love to all who call on You. (Psalm 86:3-5)
... I call to You for help, Lord;
in the morning my prayer meets You. (Psalm 88:13)

1 comment:

  1. I have done this a few times in my life and it is always worth while. Love the Psalms because they do call to the heart to praise the Lord. I sometimes think we take too much time, in our prayers, for requesting, instead of just praising our Lord for everything. God bless

    ReplyDelete