Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My valuable toe

I was reading Matthew 1 a few days ago--all those names. They represent generations of the Lord's earthly family, listed one by one. Some of the names are very familiar while others are hardly mentioned in the scriptures. Yet each one of those people was valuable to God. God knew, throughout history, the role each would play in the centuries that led up to the birth of Jesus.

In a very vivid way, I realized the value of things that seem tiny. I stubbed a toe. Not the biggest toe, not the smallest toe, a toe in the middle that until I stubbed it, I wouldn't have thought of as particularly valuable.

And of course my youngest daughter stepped on my toe twice the same day I stubbed it. I felt terribly cheated that my toe didn't turn a spectacular shade of purple. I had only a small bruise but I was very aware of it every time I took a step!

It was such a tiny thing, but it really made a difference in my daily life when it was injured!
Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function, in the same way we who are many are one body in Christ and individually members of one another. According to the grace given to us, we have different gifts... (Romans 12:4-6)

Do you feel about as valuable as a tiny toe today? You are valuable to God.

1 comment:

  1. Clikced over from Thought Provoking Thursday, and I had to giggle about you feeling cheated because your tiny toe didn't turn a shade of purple!

    ReplyDelete