Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Unfolding


Comfort me so that I can live, really live;
your revelation is the tune I dance to. (Psalm 119:76-77)

I am really enjoying Psalm 119 this week. I began  my reading with the verse that spoke to me yesterday ("live, really live") , and then I moved on to verses 113-176. I found the word "unfolding" in verse 130.

The unfolding of your words gives light; 
it imparts understanding to the simple. (Psalm 119:130)

I thought of the maps I used to carry around in my car, and how difficult it was to refold the map into pristine condition. But the map was useless if I only looked at the pretty cover.

I checked out several other translations.

The entrance of thy words giveth light; 
it giveth understanding unto the simple. (KJV)
Break open your words, let the light shine out, 
let ordinary people see the meaning. (The Message)
The entrance and unfolding of Your words give light; 
their unfolding gives understanding (discernment and comprehension) to the simple. (Amplified)
Your word is a doorway that lets in light, and it helps gullible people understand. (God's Word)

I used blueletterbible.org to look up the meaning of the word "entrance" in the King James Version. According to Strong's concordance, the Hebrew word here is pethach, and it means "opening, unfolding, entrance, doorway."

Today, Lord
I ask you to unfold your word to me.
Break open its truths
like jewels sparkling in the sun.
If there are areas in my life
where I am gullible
(easily led astray by worldly wisdom),
redirect me to your path.
As I walk in your truth,
may your truth enter me
and change me.

photo credit: i've seen this road before via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment