Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Soaking and Shining

 
When I was little I had a plastic cross. All day long it looked very plain and plastic while it hung on the wall and soaked up the light. But when I turned off my lamp at night, the cross would glow for several hours.
 
If I kept it hidden away in a dresser drawer all day, it didn't have any light to give at night. Of course if I hid it at night, it didn't have a chance to do what it was designed to do: bring light to my room and remind me of my Savior.
 
Jesus called Himself the Light of the World, but He gave His followers this title too. We all need time with the Light, seeking Him and soaking in His wisdom. Then He enables us to shine.
 
Some of us feel more connected to God when we are soaking in His light (studying His Word, singing His praise, calling out to Him prayer), while others feel connected when they are sharing His light (serving Him by reaching out to others). Worship is not a feeling--it is an action and a choice, but God does interact with us through our feelings at times, giving us an awareness that we are worshipping.
 
Do you feel connected when you soak in His light?
 
Or when you shine in His service?
 
We're all called to both, obviously. Just like that plastic cross, we need God's light, but we are designed to shine. We all have different personalities and strengths. I am fascinated by the variety in the body of Christ.
 
When I asked my friends when they felt connected to God, they spoke of praying and praising and mopping and walking. They talked about turning up the music and dancing with their children as well as escaping to pray in solitude. One friend paints, another volunteers in an orphanage.
 
I like to drink coffee, read Psalms and look out my window at the mountains. Those quiet study times lead to my ministry at Bible study.
 
For God who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God's glory in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6)
 
Are you soaking in the light today? Are you listening to His voice calling you to an opportunity to shine for Him?
 
 
 
This post is adapted from Practicing Glory. Read about this Bible study here.
 
I found this picture here.


No comments:

Post a Comment