Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Scattered thoughts about Soul Friends


This week I am focusing on the spiritual discipline of confession: agreeing with God about who He is and who I am.
 
Ancient Irish Christians chose a “soul friend” or in Gaelic, an anamchara. The Gaelic for soul means the whole person, so an anamchara was a friend you could talk to about anything—even sins. The practice began in monasteries where new monks were assigned mentors who were a little further on in the faith, but soon laypeople began soul friend relationships too. An anamchara would listen, offer encouragement, and assure the friend of God's forgiveness. He or she would also suggest changes for the future and hold the friend accountable.
 
A "soul friend" is a beautiful relationship, and if you don't have a friend you can talk to about absolutely anything, you should put this on your prayer list. However, I think there are sometimes seasons of life where the Lord is your only soul friend, and He calls you to lean on Him in a new way.
 
 
...By God’s grace I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not ineffective.
(I Corinthians 15:10)
 
I greatly rejoice in the Lord, I exult in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation and wrapped me in a robe of righteousness, as a groom wears a turban and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. (Isaiah 61:10)
 
Look at how great a love the Father has given us that we should be called God’s children. (I John 3:1)

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment