Friday, February 5, 2010

Flat Belly Afternoon Tea

Today I'm having a friend over for tea. I want to serve something that seems like a treat but includes some protein and a MUFA and stays under 400 calories. So here's our menu (with a little help from the EatingWell 500 Calorie Dinner cookbook, which does not include MUFAs with every meal but does use healthy ingredients):

Tea (I drink mine with agave nectar 20 cal. and milk-- 1/8 cup fat-free milk 20 cal.) 2 cups = 80 calories

Fruit and yogurt parfait
in each individual glass bowl or cup layer place
1/4 cup diced pineapple (30 cal), then add
1/2 cup low fat peach yogurt (115 cal), then top with
2 strawberries, quartered (8 cal)
at the last minute add 1 tablespoon pecans (43 cal. MUFA!)
Garnish with a mint leaf if you have fresh mint available
Total per serving 196 calories

Cookies
Dip 8 gingersnaps in 1/3 cup melted semisweet chocolate chips (MUFA!)
Before the chocolate hardens, add diced chopped ginger and dried cranberries to the top of each cookie. Each cookie is about 79 calories.

Total calories in this meal: 355

Note: a MUFA serving of pecans is actually 2 tablespoons. I kept this at 1 because the chocolate is also a MUFA.

If I only have one cup of tea, I can have two cookies, making this a 394 calorie meal.

Note: I have no connection with the authors of the Flat Belly Diet, nor do I have their opinion on how this fits with the guidelines.

Check the sidebar to the left to download a free chapter from my book: Sacred Signposts, Exploring the Prayer Paths of St. Paul and St. Patrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment