Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bible in 90 Days: thoughts on Day 40

The Book of Psalms is like a hot bath with lavender scented bubbles after a long day. Ahhhhh. I really struggled with the books of the Law and the books of History. Reading at this fast pace, without time to research what I'm reading, makes it difficult for me to find strength for the day within those readings. This is not my first time reading through the Bible, so I'm not in search of the Big Picture. I'm just in search of a word from God to bring me closer to Him. Obviously there are lessons in the law, and pictures of the Lord's redemption within it. Of course if you study the lives of the kings you can see God's guidance of the nation of Israel. But at this fast pace it's easy to miss those lessons and I wasn't feeling fed and nourished by the Scriptures. I kept remembering hearing Kings and Chronicles read at the breakfast table when I was growing up. I could almost taste the really boring oatmeal my mom made.

Then the book of Job came along. I love that book. Job is so honest with God, his friends are so annoying, and then God speaks to them and they are all amazed at His wisdom and majesty. I want to be that honest and that amazed.

And then Psalms. Ahhhhh. If I could only have one book of the Bible, this would be my choice. Here we see every human emotion expressed as prayer. God wants to hear my voice, whether I'm grieving, complaining, rejoicing, or worshipping. I stopped using the Bible in 90 Days NIV version, and switched to an NLT with notes by Warren Wiersbe. I don't read all the notes (they would have been helpful in the earlier books) but it's nice to know they're there. They make me feel like I'm discussing and fellowshipping with another Christian while I read. Warren Wiersbe says the theme of Psalms is "Intimacy with God." He suggests that in times of trouble we should read Psalms, searching not for an answer but an attitude.

One of my favorite verses in today's reading was Psalm 32:8: The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you."

I praise You, Lord, for Your guidance today.

Check the sidebar to the left to download a free chapter from my book: Sacred Signposts, Exploring the Prayer Paths of St. Paul and St. Patrick.

1 comment:

  1. I love the...searching not for an answer but an attitude.

    And that is one of my favoirte verses from today, too!

    God bless - Holly

    ReplyDelete