Monday, December 14, 2009

Crockpot Split Pea Soup

The Swedish Table cookbook has a delightful yellow split pea soup recipe. My grocery store doesn't carry yellow split peas, and I wanted to use my crockpot, so I adapted the recipe a bit. My husband and my kids all declared this "yummy" and my oldest daughter has been gobbling up the leftovers.

1 TBS olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 1/3 cups green split peas
4 cups vegetable broth
3 cups chicken stock
fresh dill
salt

1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 TBS olive oil
fresh dill

cooked bacon (1 slice per person, if desired)

Saute the onion and carrot in 1 TBS olive oil until the onion begins to turn golden. Add garlic and saute for another minute or two. Put cooked vegetables in the crockpot and add peas, broth, stock, and dill. Cook on low for 8 hours. Taste the soup to see if you'd like to add salt, keeping in mind the saltiness of the bacon you might use as a garnish.

Meanwhile, cut each cherry tomato in half and marinate them in 2 TBS olive oil with dill.

Serve soup garnished with tomatoes and bacon.

The soup made 9 cups. Each cup has about 216 calories. The garnishes have about 173 calories per person if divided between 5 people. I counted the olive oil as my MUFA for the Flat Belly Diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment