Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Confidence

Today I read two familiar verses from Hebrews. I usually read the Holman translation or New King James, but today I read the New American Standard Bible. I noticed the use of the word "confidence" where I am accustomed to reading "boldness."

Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

...We have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus. (Hebrews 10:19)


These verses always amaze me, in any version. I grew up in a Christian home, so prayer has never been a new concept to me, but I still find it incredible that I can confidently talk with the Creator of the Universe...all because of Jesus' sacrifice.

The word "confidence" showed up in my Psalms reading today also:

That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born,
That they may arise and tell them to their children,
That they should put their confidence in God
And not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments. (Psalm 78:6-7)


The preceding verses urged the people of Israel to tell their children the mighty works that God had done. Here we see that this telling would influence their children's confidence in God.

This made me ask myself, "What mighty works of God in my own life do I need to be sharing with my children?"

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtfull post on confidence .It should be very much helpfull

    Thanks,
    Karim - Creating Power

    ReplyDelete