Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Delight


When I was in Cannon Beach a few weeks ago, I had an amazing spoonable chocolate at the Chocolate Café. It was a tiny cup of thick rich dark chocolate, thicker than mousse, more elegant than pudding. (It’s in the photo above, with an equally delicious truffle.) The portion was perfect—I could not have eaten one more mouthful. But I ate and enjoyed every bite. I delighted in that chocolate. I relished it. I took a picture and sent it to my husband. I talked about that chocolate. It was fantastic.

Today I read about a third of Psalm 119. I noticed the word "delight" several times. 

I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word. (verse 16)
Your testimonies are my delight;
they are my counselors. (verse 24)
Lead me in the path of your commandments, 
for I delight in it. (verse 35)
For I find my delight in your commandments, which I love. (verse 48)

The Message version takes the word “delight” to another level in verse 16:

I relish everything you’ve told me of life…

Relish.
A lip-smacking delight in every crumb.

I remembered that amazing chocolate and the great delight it brought me. As I endeavor to just be with Jesus, I want to delight in his word. I am not seeking to read it at breakneck pace, but to savor it and relish it every day.

I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
I attentively watch how you’ve done it.
I relish everything you’ve told me of life,
I won’t forget a word of it. (Psalm 119:15-16 The Message)


No comments:

Post a Comment