Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Second Week of Advent: People who share the Message


Last week I shared with you my phrase for the First Week of Advent: God Speaks to Flawed People.
My second Advent candle represents the Prophets--the Biblical messengers who shared God's great promise of the Messiah.

What do we have in common with the Prophets? We too have heard a message. We know that the Messiah came and He will come again. We are deeply flawed people, made whole by His sacrifice. Jesus asks us to share that message:

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

It sounds a little overwhelming--discipling and teaching and reaching all the nations--but we have the promise of Emmanuel: "I am with you always."

And because He is with us always, He gives us stories to tell. The prophet Isaiah said:

He will be named
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)


When was God wonderful to you?
When was He your Counselor?
When did you see a mighty work of God in your life?
When was He your Father and Your Prince of Peace?
Share those stories.

The season of Advent calls us to look back at the Prophets who foretold Jesus' coming,
 to look forward to His coming again, 
to live aware of His presence in our today
and to share His message.

I'm collecting links on Advent themes at Storify. This week's list is here and I'll be adding to it all week.




photo credit: Per Ola Wiberg ~ powi via photopin cc

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this - I love those questions that turn a familiar Bible passage into an exciting reflection on the work of God in my life. It has been good to ask myself those questions and be encouraged by the answers!

    Thanks for linking up! Hope you get a chance to comment on Nancy's before you - I see she was thinking along very similar lines! It's so cool when that happens!

    ReplyDelete