Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Surrender..a daily event

I am the Lord's servant. Let it be with me just as you have said. (Luke 1:38 CEB)

The topic of surrender is a summary of the Christian life. God asks us to surrender in life-changing decisions as well as daily choices.

When I blogged last week, I was unhappy with my post. I couldn't seem to put into words what I really wanted to say. I remembered a similar feeling the week before. "What's wrong with me?" I asked myself. "I love blogging on these topics!" I prayed for guidance and suddenly confronted a very ordinary truth.

I was sick. A sinus infection had sneaked up on me, leaving me sniffly and groggy. I know how to fix this, and one of the ingredients of treatment is rest.

So I surrendered. This included choosing stillness over activity. Surrender overlaps with so many other spiritual disciplines. By the weekend I was feeling much better.

And then on Monday I woke up with back pain.

More stillness.

Within the stillness I found time to do a little research for my next project. I picked up the "I need to read those sometime" books.

And I remembered that surrender is a daily event. It's not always a "yes" to a grand and glorious calling.

Now these dirty dishes are calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment