Monday, June 20, 2011

Treasured by the King

Here's a sneak peak into Only for My King, my next Bible study.

I love dishes. My kitchen cupboards hold colorful square plates and white rippled bowls we use daily. A nearby shelf displays an assortment of handmade pottery mugs for morning coffee or tea. Across the dining room the china hutch is full of special occasion dishes: a rosy pattern for afternoon tea parties, a wintry village design for Christmas feasts, and a delicate silver floral pattern for spring dinners. In July when the desert heat is unbearable, I drink my tea out of a vintage cup decorated with holly and unexplainably I feel cooler. Every piece is ideal for some specific use. Each piece gives me joy—yet much of that joy comes not from the outer beauty of the dish or cup, but from the fragrant food or drink it holds.

...We possess this precious treasure [the divine Light of the Gospel] in [frail, human] vessels of earth, that the grandeur and exceeding greatness of the power may be shown to be from God and not from ourselves.(2 Corinthians 4:7 Amplified)

Followers of Jesus, like my dishes, are unique and beautiful in His sight. We are fragile human vessels holding the grandeur of God. Our joy comes from this treasure within us. We belong to a King who treasures us and places His treasure within us.

Only for My King will be available in September. It is a ten week Bible study on the topic of serving and surrendering to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment