Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lip Balm and Soul Balm


Just a simple thought today, and it's a recycled post from a couple years ago. I went looking for it because I was trying to remember the name of this hymn, so I thought I'd share it again.

Out of earth's sorrows, into Thy balm,
Out of life's storms and into Thy calm,
Out of distress to jubilant psalm,
Jesus, I come to Thee.
--from a hymn: "Jesus, I Come" by William Sleeper, 1887


I don't use the word "balm" often, unless I'm talking about lip balm. Now that I think of it, that's a great illustration of God's word. My lips get dry and cracked in the desert in both winter and summer seasons unless I apply lip balm every day. Similarly, without a daily application of God's word, my soul becomes parched. Praise God for the balm of His love!

To hear more of this hymn, check out Scott Wesley Brown's version on the album Hymns, the Old Made New.



Today at Some Girl's Website, the topic is Restoration. I thought "Soul Balm" was a similar idea.

2 comments:

  1. Great thought! I live in Colorado where it can be very dry as well, so I'm used to using lip balm daily. What a wonderful thought to focus on whenever I apply lip balm!
    Deb @ RaisingFigureSkaters.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Friend,
    Thanks for a simple, yet powerful image. I will keep that thought as I apply my lip balm. Never thought of that before.

    ReplyDelete