Monday, July 19, 2010

A Hymn for Monday Morning

Every chapter of Praise Patterns has a hymn--a poetic prayer of praise. Chapter Five's theme is "The God Who Sees." This hymn reminds us to see, look for, and be more aware of His presence.

This is My Father's World
The author of this hymn was a pastor who loved to go for long walks. As he left his home he often announced, “I'm going out to see my Father's world.” It's a great reminder that whatever frightening news is filling the airwaves today, this is still my Father's world.

This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father’s world: I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father’s world, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world: He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father’s world. O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world: the battle is not done:
Jesus Who died shall be satisfied,
And earth and Heaven be one.

This is my Father’s world. I walk a desert lone.
In a bush ablaze to my wondering gaze God makes His glory known.
This is my Father’s world, a wanderer I may roam
Whate’er my lot, it matters not,
My heart is still at home.

--Maltbie Babcock, 1901


Benediction
...Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. (2 Peter 3:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment