Monday, December 7, 2009

Roasted Baby Carrots

My kids always want me to buy baby carrots, but they don't always welcome them on their lunch plates. Yesterday, however, I served roasted carrots, and they gobbled them up.

Preheat oven to 450.

Toss 1 pound baby carrots with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 diced garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon Fines Herbes (or your favorite herb blend). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread carrots in a single not-too-crowded layer on a cookie sheet (with a lip around it to prevent carrots landing on the floor when removing from oven). Bake for 20 minutes. If the carrots are too crowded, they will cook much more slowly, and they will steam themselves rather than roasting, giving a slightly different texture and not as much sweetness.

A 1/2 cup serving will have about 104 calories.

I added diced roast beef and a little mustard to my bowl of carrots to make a complete lunch. I counted the olive oil as my MUFA on the Flat Belly Diet.

(adapted from Eating Well magazine)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good idea, I will have to try it. I have never been a fan of cooked carrots, perhaps my kids will be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very different from steamed or microwaved carrots. Roasting gives a carmelizing effect, bringing out the natural sweetness in a unique way. You can take them in savory or sweet directions.

    ReplyDelete