Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Light

As sunset comes a little earlier each evening, twinkling lights adorn a few homes in our neighborhood, and I'm searching for my apple cider candle while I meditate on Light. Advent has arrived and the Christmas rush has hit shoppers and decorators. This is a joyful time of year for many, but a dark and difficult time for others. Whether we are the harried shoppers, the exhausted decorators, the bah humbug complainers or the lonely mourners, we all crave Light to cheer and guide us through this month. We all need to take a moment to lift our eyes from the sales and the trees and our own troubles, to the Creator...the Savior...the Prince of Peace who longs to guide our feet into His way.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of darkness a light has dawned. Isaiah 9:2

Because of our God's merciful compassion, the Dawn from on high will visit us to shine on those who live in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. Luke 1:78-80

Glory be to God who has shown us the light!
Lead me from darkness to light,
Lead me from sadness to joy,
Lead me from death to immortality.
Glory be to God who has shown us the light! (Glenstal Book of Prayer, p. 22)

O Emmanuel,
remind me that You are with me
lighting up my world
and filling my heart with peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment