Saturday, November 7, 2009

Following

Today at the Prayer Conference we sang a song that included the phrase "I will follow hard after You." I knew that was a phrase from Psalms, so I looked it up when I came home. The King James Version says "My soul followeth hard after Thee: Thy right hand upholdeth me." (Psalm 63:8). The Holman Christian Standard Bible puts it this way: "I follow close to You; Your right hand holds on to me."

Two things really speak to me in this verse: first of all, the closeness. I shouldn't be following Jesus stealthily like a detective shadowing someone. Following Jesus is a lifelong relationship, clinging to Him and focusing on Him and obeying Him.

Secondly, I can only follow Him because He holds me tightly. Only the Lord can empower me to follow His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment