Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rejoicing in the Refuge

Psalm 64:10
Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in Him.

I loved seeing "rejoice" and "refuge" in the same verse! Even when a storm is raging, He gives us a reason to rejoice as we take refuge in Him.

A year and a half ago, my father was near the end of his life, and I was stressed trying to figure out how to be sure he was cared for a thousand miles away. During the day I read a lot of Psalms and took as many naps as my children allowed me to. My sweet husband knows how to relieve my stress, and he would bring home baklava and 1960s Avengers DVDs, and we would enjoy them together after the kids went to bed--a mini retreat, just the two of us and our munchies and our British television program. John Steed and Emma Peel's elegance shines through all the cheesiness of the Avengers storylines. Though it was a stressful time, I look back on those nights as cosy and fun. I felt that the Lord used my husband to make our evenings a refuge and a time to rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment